Profiles of Traditional Bicycle Manufacturers

{This post is now a Page}

Comments

  1. This is very useful, thank you.

    They all look lovely! Wish I could test them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, test-riding is so important! You never really know how a bicycle will fit your particular anatomy until you climb on it. Of the bikes here, I have been fortunate enough to look at and/or test the Gazelle, Batavus, Pashley, Velorbis, Soegreni, and Jorg & Olif. All have a different feel, construction and proportions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out CoutureCruiser.com for stylish bike basket liners that cinch into cute tote bags! 16 styles to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen them and they are beautiful. I also like your headbands -- I am a fan of headbands! I will make an accessories info page in the future and it will include these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done!

    How about Kronan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive just bought a Skeppshult bicycle from Velorution in London - I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for this review and all of the great info you've compiled here.

    I need to know more about the Achielle. To me that is one beautiful bike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm forever the business woman, I guess, but since you've compiled this list, why not figure out how to become an affliate of some type. While you're at it, find a way to import some great European skirt guards. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon 1:29 - I am by choice not a businesswoman, and I would find writing this blog less enjoyable if my freedom of expression were constricted by my affiliations with businesses. When I find a company in whose product I truly believe, I do not mind expressing this "for free", because I think that will be beneficial to my readers. And this way, I am also free to voice reservations about products without inhibitions.

    Regarding skirt guards: As it happens, I may actually be offering some for sale through this blog. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Filigree, I hear you.
    I am excited about the skirt guards, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trek has brought back the mixte 25 years since they disappeared, and it is just lovely in ivory and blue. With fenders, chain guard, 3-speed hub, front dynamo hub, and lights under the racks - could it possibly be the daughter of Marianne?

    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/eco_design/bellevillewsd/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Add Viva from Denmark perhaps - www.vivabikes.com

    Blánaid
    irish cycle chic

    ReplyDelete
  13. Re Azor, you asked for more information. I've added some clarifying information in a comment here: http://clevercycles.com/?p=1232#comment-337777 . Azor is about 10 years old as a company; it apparently swept up the ruins of some older firms. We (Clever Cycles) have been importing them along with Dutch Bike Seattle/Chicago since 2007. There are now more US dealers, linked from the exporter's site: http://www.workcycles.com/workbike/internet-resources-links-for-workbikes.html

    See this video for a factory tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHmgHu_eRxg

    thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One manufactory is definitely missing in your fine list. "WELTRAD Manufactur" from Germany. Great old school retro bikes from original construction plans out of the thirties. Pimped with proper parts of the 21th century. You can see more here: http://www.weltrad.de/en/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Filigree did you every create any skirt guards for sale? I'm looking for one for my ladies 1942 CCM Rambler (28" Wheels) and I'm curious to see them. Cheers, Brooke (stream13@shaw.ca)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marvellous! Looking for a belgian-style bike for my wife - this page has given me some good leads!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pashley also make rather different bikes - the Pashley-Moulton TSR range, which they manufacture in partnership with the Moulton Bicycle company. Now they realy are "the most exclusive English bicycle manufacturer", with prices to match!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pilen cykler from Sweden: sturdy hand-built bikes based on Swedish military designs from a small village in Southern Sweden. I own a 9-speed SuperLyx - a wonderful bike.

    http://www.pilencykel.se/site/en/node/8

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am trying to decide between an Azor/WorkCycles Oma, a Gazelle Tour Populaire 8-speed (without the rod brakes), a Skeppshult or a Velorbis. Help!! Please! I live in Washington DC and need it for commuting 4.5 miles (each way) to work. My route has a long gradual hill, so I'm wondering if choosing the Velorbis or Skeppshult might be wiser, as my understanding is they're lighter. The WorkCycles was top of my list but some reviews I've read make it seem overly heavy and cumbersome. Bike will be outside all day but stored indoors at night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment