Featured

Yesterday I was pleased to learn that my mad little velo-world was featured in an article called "Bicycle Glamour: Everyday Cycling vs. Competitive Sport" on deepglamour.net. This was most unexpected - first, because Deep Glamour is not a bicycle-related publication, but even more so because I am familiar with the author's writing.

Deep Glamour is a weblog run by Virginia Postrel, who is a contributing editor of the Atlantic Monthly and the author of several books including The Substance of Style: How the Rise of Aesthetic Value Is Remaking Commerce, Culture, and Consciousness. I like Ms. Postrel's work very much, and so you can imagine how nice it was to discover that she wrote about my website. To my further delight, the article mentioning Lovely Bicycle was not only interesting in itself, but quoted me properly and did not distort the meaning of my words. I've had bad experiences with journalists in my non-bicycle life, and frankly I expect the worst when anything is written about me in publications - so Hurray for journalistic integrity!

Deep Glamour is a cultural commentary blog that "explores the magic of glamour in its many manifestations" - something I suspect many of my readers might find appealing. I appreciate Ms. Postrel's writing about bicycles in the way they deserve to be written about - in the context of glamour and romance.

Comments

  1. But, as Filigree knows better than most, everyday cycling IS a competitive sport for those that blog. One only has to look at the combination of fascinating photos and compelling text to know this. Unlike bicycle racing, however, it's a competitive sport that has only winners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic news.
    Virginia Postrel is one of the smartest and most perceptive people in *any* room.

    Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve A - I guess life in general is a competitive sport? Though I am increasingly unsure what constitutes "winning" that one.

    Corey - Glad to hear you like her too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful about the article, Velouria - it's well-deserved attention. And thank you for the discussion thread yesterday about the ideal bike - (sigh) - though it's hard to give up the dream of the one perfect bike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive, congratulations! Wonderful article and fascinating blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Velouria! Excellent article to be quoted in and as you say, reassuring to be quoted properly. Wandering around the interweb there ARE the competitive people who make every two-wheeled work commute a race against themselves, cars, traffic lights and anyone and everyone else... but I'm also gaining, as I cruise the web, a sense that Lovely Bicycles in all their glamorous incarnations are growing steadily in popularity. Bike shops here in Oz where you wouldn't see a new cruiser for sale a couple of years ago are now bulging with them; Dutch-style bikes too.

    Singly, we can make a choice to ride a lovely bicyle to please ourselves. Together, we can take over the wo- oops. Well, we can make the world a more pleasant, slow-moving place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I most definitely agree that the shops have stocked up on "lovely bicycles" in the course of the past year. The stores I've spoken to about it say that these bikes seem to be selling quite well. Harris Cyclery can hardly keep the Pashleys in stock. Also, more custom framebuilders seem to be coming up with either mixte or step-through designs. I think it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your blog and am a big proponent in your perspective. Congrats for getting picked up in Deep Glamour. I can't wait to peruse your other articles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me say what I've realised a 'longer' time ago: You 'have arrived'!
    Congratulations!

    Lemony

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to be one of those arrogant bike shop employees who told female customers they really didn't want a drop-frame or even a mixte bike. Why would you wear a dress while cycling? I'd wonder aloud.

    Now I'll make a confession: Deep down, that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to be like one of those women depicted in the old French bike ads. Or, at least like the woman I saw one day riding a Herse mixte in her Chanel suit.

    I guess my days as a boy-racer/bikeshop rat still affect me: I'm not going to give up my diamond-frame road bike; there's nothing like it for longer or fast rides. However, there are times when I want to look more dignified. Or I simply want to ride to work without changing clothes. I know other would-be cyclists feel the same way, and I think some shops are realizing that such cyclists are potential customers. And a lot of shops can use any customers they can get.

    Sometimes I'd like to talk to the racer/bike shop employee I once was. (As if he'd have listened!) These days, I'm happy simply to see other people riding bikes, and to ride one myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment