Thursday, June 25, 2009

Magic Mixte Makeover

While looking up some information on Mixte frames, I came across a before-and-after story on Cyclofiend that took my breath away. So I'd like to share it here, and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. All images are from cyclofiend.com and are linked to the original source.

The bicycle pictured below is a 1980s Cilo mixte, discovered by Mr. Chern outside a cafe.

Hot pink frame. Awkward-looking silver fork. Overall construction seems unremarkable. And oh, that 80's-style neon lettering! I would have walked on by and not have touched this thing with a 10 foot pole.

Thankfully, Mr. Chern knew better than that.

He bought the bicycle from the owner. And then... And then he did this to it:

Yes, I believe an "OMG" would be perfectly appropriate here. Squealing too. The transformation is unbelievable. Here are some close-ups:

Notice the lugs! The lugs! The cream and bordeaux combination is mouthwatering. And that gorgeous lever on the left is a Shimano Arabesque shifter.

Mr. Chern, that is a lovely, lovely bicycle! Thank you so much for bringing such a beautiful thing into the world!

Read more about this project here and here on Cyclofiend.

7 comments:

  1. That colour is absolutely gorgeous! My dream bike will be in that shade of red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red colour reminds me of a candy apple at a harvest fest : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m speechless! The paint job looks like a miracle to me because I don’t know anything about stripping and repainting bike frames. I wish I knew someone in my area who could do that with my bike, should it start to look ugly in a few years’ time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on everything I've read and heard from others, painting a bike yourself is just not a good idea if you want it to look professional and to not chip right away.

    I would venture to say that any reputable paint shop could do this, if you just give them the proper instructions. The natural anatomy of the lugs and the 2-tone colour are what give it that "wow" look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a repainted Raleigh lady's Sports sitting in Harris Cyclery in a similar colour (customer's bike probably waiting for pick-up). It's absolutely beautiful, stunning re-paint with many details faithfully preserved.

    Now I regret that I never snapped any pics, though it's been there a few weeks. It basically looks new, except with a soul that today's new production bicycle often lack. At first I thought it was a Raleigh reproduction of some kind with an updated front generator hub, but Harris's mechanic quickly pointed out that it was a restoration project. I was shocked to see how stylish and perfect a restored Lady Sports can be after a new paint job and some updates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have completely fallen for vintage bicycles -- both the 3-speeds and the 70s road bikes. Anything with lugs and graceful lines I want to rescue and repaint. We need a bigger place : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. The after paintjob is breathtaking. But I do have to say I kind of LOVE the hot pink of the before in its own awesome way!!!

    ReplyDelete