KHS Green: The Loveliest Budget Bike

[Edited to Add: There is now an updated review of this bicycle here]

One stumbling block in the purchase of a classic step-through city bicycle, is the shocking price tag. Be prepared to spend upward (in some cases very much upward) of $800 USD for a quality Dutch-style bicycle with 3 or more speeds.

Refreshingly, there is one alternative. During my trips to local shops, online research, and chats with surprisingly bike-knowledgeable acquaintances, I came across the "Green" bicycle made by KHS.


Made especially for stylish and safe commuting, the KHS Green features the relaxed-style frame and handlebar construction and comes fitted with fenders, a rack, and a partial chain-guard. It is a 3-speed, with a Shimano hub. It has both coaster brakes and a hand-brake. And it is priced at $350 USD! As one reviewer put it (I paraphrase, unable to find the original text): This is the least expensive bike worth buying.

The bicycle on the photo above is the KHS Green, ladies' frame, that I rented from Cambridge Bicycle (more on this later).

Comments

  1. I'd have to change the handlebars, but otherwise I really like this bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What bothers you about the handlebars?

    The one downside I can see, is that the frames tend to run small. I am 5'7" and I need the largest female frame. My husband is 6'1" and he feels that the largest male frame is borderline too small for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donald Robinet, Chatham, OntarioDecember 9, 2009 at 10:05 AM

    I bought a KHS Green earlier this year. It's a great bicycle. Not very fast, but comfortable. I added some panniers on the back, so that I can pick up a few groceries. The bicycle is a throwback to the good old days when bicycles were easier to maintain, and were built to last (why do you think there are so many old 3 speeds out there from the late '60s and early '70s, but very few old 10 speeds?). I like having an internal gear system; it keeps the gears out of the weather. Also, having fenders and a chainguard keeps your clothes cleaner, too. I also like the coaster brake, and usually just use it instead of the hand brake, although sometimes I use both brakes together. I had to wait a couple of months for delivery, since it is a popular model with good value for the money. Paid a little less than $400 Canadian at Smith Cycle in Chatham, where the staff is knowledgeable and you get good service. The price included lock and taxes. Works out to about $350 US.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment